Pour le Corps label has been on my radar for a few months now, mainly because of their limited-edition theory and vinyl/cassette format. I appreciate that approach, as someone who often feels beat down by the fleeting nature of mp3s, and misses the tactile experience of listening to music: opening a ... More >>
Kendrick Lamar Trees Thursday, January 19 Since the last time Kendrick Lamar graced a Dallas stage, his star has only been on the rise. His most recent mix tape, Section.80, has garnered buzz, rave reviews and a spot on Drake's upcoming tour with ASAP Rocky. That's one buzzy tour, but the party las ... More >>
Pledge took beating, not oath, to become Omega Psi Phi.
10. You knew it was going to be an intense game ... even before the game. During shootaround at American Airlines Arena this afternoon neither Dwyane Wade nor LeBron James would respond to Dirk Nowitzki calling their mocking video "childish" and "ignorant." Their response: "We have no comment." B ... More >>
Fittingly, sitting courtside at American Airlines Center last night: Emmitt Smith. What he witnessed was perhaps Dallas-Fort Worth's gutsiest individual performance since, well, his own masterpiece 17 years ago. Yep, on a night when he fought a 101-degree fever, Dirk Nowitzki will ... More >>
10. Mavs spurted 7-0 out of halftime and led 51-43, but somehow trailed 65-61 entering fourth. How's that you ask? Four turnovers and a LeBron James 25-foot fadeaway 3-pointer at the buzzer that makes you just tip your cap. 9. Back in the early '00s the Sacramento Kings were a bad ... More >>
10. Dirk Nowitzki was obviously unstoppable with 48 points and an NBA playoff-record 24 of 24 free throws, but the Mavs were stagnant and stale offensively until J.J. Barea entered the game in the second quarter. As Thunder coach Scotty Brooks said afterward, "He's a handful." I'm stil ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *Went and watched the American professional debut of Cuban defector/Rangers' prospect Leonys Martin last night in Frisco. In a word, wow! With his father and agent in the stands at Dr Pepper ... More >>
Stolen from the Bobcats in deal for Matt Carroll, Eduardo Najera and effin' Erick Dampier, Tyson Chandler's a big reason why Dallas is off to such a great start.The Mavericks continued to prove that they're indeed the best team in the league as they improved their road record to a franchise-best ... More >>
Miami Thrice, enjoy your demise.Dwyane Wade in specific. And the Miami Heat in general. Take this lightly if you wish, but consider the career/personal plunges of my previous targets: *Terrell Owens (cut by the Cowboys, irrelevant as Buffalo Bill). *Tiger Woods (lost his wife, reputat ... More >>
This guy is the Yankees' only hope. In other words, 'tis over.10. And that, my friends, is why I wanted the New York Yankees. Between CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, this is a flawed pitching staff. Just ask the Rangers, who in this series have posted 5, 7, 8 and 10 runs in building a comm ... More >>
Denard Robinson, the next Heisman winner? Yawn.Reggie Bush gave back his Heisman Trophy. To which I respond: Big friggin' deal. I know the Heisman is one of the most hyped awards, but - let's be honest - it's also the most meaningless sports trophy this side of the Governor's Cup, Golden B ... More >>
10. Regarding Brett Favre's latest, but certainly not last retirement, I think Cowboys' linebacker Bradie James put it best: "Don't care." 9. Tip for autograph seekers at The Alamodome: Get a roster. When Jason Hatcher walks off the field toward the tunnel, "Hey, 97!" isn't going to steer hi ... More >>
Whether you're at the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *Hope last night doesn't come back to haunt the Texas Rangers down the road. Despite leading 4-0 with undefeated pitcher Tommy Hunter on the mound in Arlington, the Rangers imploded late and lost t ... More >>
10. With a combined 32 championships, isn't this the all-time greatest rivalry in sports? Thought so. 9. Kobe Bryant may be one of the greatest players of all time, but don't be shocked if Boston point guard Rajon Rondo is the best player on the court. 8. The Dallas Mavericks ... More >>
Hey, who's the dork just to the left of Motta's ass? The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York is hallowed ground. The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio is a sacred shrine. The Basketball Hall of Fame is an absolute joke. I realize it's weird timing, seeing tha ... More >>
Tonight's the next chapter in one of sports' best rivalries. That's right, I said best.To be a true sports rivalry - more than just a plethora of games between teams in close proximity (see Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals) - the meetings between opponents must: *Take place at a ... More >>
A decade ago, I interviewed Kevin Sullivan on his last day as the Dallas Mavericks' vice president of communications, a job he'd held for 18 years -- since the team's inception in 1980. It seemed like a good idea to do another exit interview today, because Sullivan, pictured above with President Bus ... More >>
Early playoff exits have Big D disappointed, devastated and downright dysfunctional
This summer Dirk Nowitzki went down under to find himself. Can he now lead the Mavs to the promised land?
The tennis king makes pit stop in, um, Frisco?
Don't whisper a word to the children, but hell yeah, of course they do
Knocked off his high horse, Matt Doherty tries to whip SMU back into the race
Sports' smallest acts often come laced with giant implications
Martial arts sensation Tony Jaa makes the most of his screen debut
You could call The Dismemberment Plan boring. But you won't.
Mavs All-Star Finley says his infrequent trips to the free-throw line are not a problem. We beg to differ.
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars (Astralwerks)
With Mavericks Coach Jim Cleamons and GM Don Nelson, life's a constant battle for position
Julio Mercado is Dallas' brand-new DEA boss, and he's inherited kilos of trouble. His city is about to be declared a drug disaster zone, but all his narcs seem to care about is snitching on each other.
For one sports star, home is where the bowling alley is
Theater Critics Forum ponders the year's best performances--and Dallas' diminishing stage scene
'Boys are cranky-- and that's good
Hoop Dreams is a thrilling gut check for sports fans and athletes alike