Jonathan Bales is the founder of DallasCowboysTimes.com, a site dedicated to film study and statistical analysis of the Cowboys. As the seconds ticked away in the Cowboys' prime-time loss to the Giants on Sunday, Cowboys fans were left with that familiar taste in their mouths. (You know the one -- ... More >>
Editor's note: Jonathan Bales is the founder of DallasCowboysTimes.com and occasionally writes for The New York Times. We thought it'd be fun to have him break out the Xs and Os and Oh Shits before Sunday's big game. We apologize in advance for the nerdiness. While the "play-in game" that awaits t ... More >>
*This advice is contingent on you promising never to root for your Fantasy Team over your Favorite Team.
In the fickle world of NFL fandom, the Cowboys' QB has one more year to prove himself.
Sunday night at MetLife Stadium the New York Jets will hand out American flags to every fan, and an ass-whipping to America's Team. Remember the part about not betting with your heart, but your head? This is a primo example. I want the Cowboys to win their NFL regular-season open ... More >>
When Tony Romo was sacked by the Giants' Michael Boley last October 25 it broke his collar bone and effectively ended what was already a wobbly Cowboys' 2010 season. It was also, remember, the result of a missed blocking assignment by a rookie. Chris Gronkowski was part of Saturday's cuts b ... More >>
In the final analysis the Cowboys kept nine rookies, four undrafted free agents, two kickers and zero fullbacks. If you saw that coming, raise your Labor Day hand. Didn't think so. We did foresee the departures of Igor Olshansky, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Montrae Holland, so not everythi ... More >>
10. When could you tell it was preseason? Late in the first half Broncos' quarterback Tim Tebow scrambled across field, broke two tackles and eventually threw a pass down to Dallas' 5. However, there were three -- count 'em three -- penalties on Denver. On the play safety Danny Church i ... More >>
Yes, thanks for asking, I am indeed ready for some football. And tonight we'll all get a smidge, in the form of Cowboys-Broncos in Arlington at 7:30. Jason Garrett said he plans to play his starters a series, or about 8 to 12 plays. Same with the Broncos and their new coach John Fox. ... More >>
The Cowboys had exactly 10 practices in pads in San Antonio. In this weird, truncated preseason of NFL football, that makes a training camp. After a walkthrough this morning at The Alamodome, Dallas headed north and will tomorrow night begin its four-game exhibition season against the Bron ... More >>
Increasingly concerned that veteran Montrae Holland won't be the answer at right guard in 2011, the Cowboys have begun re-working their offensive line as training camp ends here in San Antonio after this afternoon's final padded practice at The Alamodome. Yesterday the Cowboys switched vete ... More >>
10. Total attendance at camp will soar over 90,000 after this afternoon's final open-to-the-public practice. The Cowboys have issued 279 media credentials for camp and on Monday Dallas mayor Mike Rawlings attended practice. The Cowboys' contract with the City of San Antonio is up after ... More >>
10. It wasn't exactly football, but it was close. Sunday's Blue-White scrimmage featured a couple of decent hits and some tackling to the ground. For the most part it was 75-percent speed, a juicy appetizer for Thursday's Cowboys-Broncos pre-season opener 9. By my very unscientific and ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End:*Only at a Cowboys' training camp can you look on the sidelines one day and see the guys from Deadliest Catch and the next find a dork in an ill-fitting suit and bow tie. Yep, Pee Wee Her ... More >>
10. For a couple of anxious minutes last Friday the Cowboys thought they'd signed Nnamdi Asomugha. Then on Monday for a curious second we thought they'd acquired Bears' receiver/returner Devin Hester. Huh is right. DallasCowboys.com sent out a text/Tweet yesterday announcing "Cowboys Si ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *I know one practice doesn't make a career and, as Bill Parcells says, let's hold off on shipping that bust to Canton, but Cowboys' first-round draft pick Tyron Smith looks like a beast ... More >>
*Jason Garrett may be changing the culture but his clock might be a bit off. Today's 10 a.m. walkthrough at The Alamodome started at precisely ... 10:30. Actually, he has an excuse. The NFL Players Association was here to get the players' vote to recertify the union. *Look for first-round draft ... More >>
With the NFL lockout finally over, the Cowboys embark on an unprecedented training camp and an unpredictable 2011 season.
Well, are you ready for some?Arrived in San Antonio this morning and will attend owner Jerry Jones' State of the Franchise press conference at 3 p.m. in The Alamodome. (After an off-season of relative silence and so many topics to cover, this baby could go 90 minutes.) In the post-lockout ... More >>
Day 132 of the NFL lockout is going to be the last. When the NFL Players Association's 11-man executive committee formally agrees to accept the owners' labor proposal this morning -- around 10 a.m. -- it will effectively end a boring, maddening off-season. As the league's approximate 1,900 ... More >>
If there's less post-draft buzz than usual, it's because the Cowboys for once went substance over style.
10. The pick of Southern Cal offensive lineman Tyron Smith isn't sexy, but it's savvy. Thumbs up. And he says he doesn't like jewelry. Two thumbs up. 9. Fifth-rounder and former Cedar Hill star Josh Thomas is physical and a good tackler in the secondary, but you wonder about a four-year ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *Most surprising thing about Cowboys first-round draft pick Tyron Smith? According to scout Walter Juliff, he's related to a former Cowboy with the same last name. Goes by the nam ... More >>
Tyron Smith: The next Dallas Cowboy?The Cowboys need help at safety. Their 2010 pass defense was the worst in the 50-year history of the storied franchise and two culprits were Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball. Problem: The Cowboys won't take a safety with the 9th pick in tonight's NFL Draf ... More >>
As much as we'd all like to hear it, NFL commish Roger Goodell isn't going to finish that sentence with "Patrick Peterson. Cornerback. LSU."That's because Peterson will likely be taken in the top seven picks of Thursday night's NFL Draft, and Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said yes ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *If the Mavericks lose in the first round to the Trail Blazers, Rick Carlisle should be fired. The window propped open by 33-year-old Dirk Nowitzki is closing, and 50-something wins without a ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *So Nuggets coach George Karl wants some of the Mavs, huh? "If we had to pick and choose, we would probably say 55 percent Dallas and 45 percent Oklahoma City," he says of his preferred ... More >>