Food News: A Cuban Fest in Carrollton, Ascension Adds Two Locations & Deep Ellum Gets Even More Food
Go nuts on Cuban food May 26-29 when Cuba Nostalgia takes over downtown Carrollton.
This week in Dallas food news: Ascension Coffee adds two new DFW locations, the Halal Guys head south, a Cuban festival comes to Carrollton and Deep Ellum is about to LITERALLY EXPLODE WITH RESTAURANTS. Apparently.
- Deep Ellum's critical restaurant mass continues with a new brunch option from the folks behind Bread Winners and Henry's Majestic: Harlowe MXM, which will, after renovations, have both a ground floor and rooftop patio, CultureMap reports. Expect cocktails, craft beer and more poached eggs than you can shake a manbun at.
- If the sentence "Kenny Bowers to open a sixth restaurant — this one in Plano" fills you with as much excitement, followed quickly by disappointment, as it did to me, you probably watch too much Eastbound and Down (the HBO comedy, not the new Smokey and the Bandit-themed bar on Ross Avenue). Turns out, Kenny Bowers is bringing a new franchise to Plano’s Berkeley Square. Kenny’s East Coast Pizza is slated to open late this summer with pizza that's "more New York than Naples," according to a press release. "In addition to a selection of 14” pizzas, the restaurant will offer classic Italian-American fare inspired by Kenny’s Italian Kitchen. Additionally, the full bar will offer a selection of hand-crafted cocktails and martinis poured from their signature frozen Grey Goose tap." The pizza spot adds to Kenny's existing DFW spots, which include Kenny’s Italian Kitchen in Addison and Kenny’s Burger Joint in Plano.
- Fort Worth's Avoca Coffee Roasters is opening a second location, this one at 835 Foch St. in the trending West 7th area. "The new location will feature the debut of Avoca's cold brew on tap, which craft coffee lovers will be able to enjoy at the coffee shop or at home as refillable growlers will be available for purchase," according to a release. "The menu will include coffee and tea offerings similar to the Magnolia Ave. location. An expanded selection of bakery treats will be available from local favorites Boopa’s Bagels, McKinley Bakery & Cafe, Stir Crazy Baked Goods and Swiss Pastry Shop with vegan pastries from Spiral Diner." The new location opens Monday, June 6.
- Ascension Coffee, the popular Design District coffee spot, recently opened a new location in The Crescent Uptown — and this week, they announced two more forthcoming locations: in Thanksgiving Tower downtown and at WestBend, the 278,000-square-foot mixed use development in Fort Worth's University District. According to a press release, the Fort Worth location will open this fall, while BizJournal reports that Ascension will open at 1601 Elm St. in early 2017.
- New York mobile food phenomenon the Halal Guys are opening a Dallas location at 5444 Lemmon Ave., CultureMap reports, and the fast-casual Mediterranean food spot is slated to open in July.
- If you dig Cuban food, coffee, cigars and music, head to downtown Carrollton May 26-28 for Cuba Nostalgia, a celebration of all things Cuban. Cuban Dulceria will serve eats like pastel de carne and mariquitas (plantain chips). Cigar-rolling, classic cars, live music from Havana NRG and a screening of Andy Garcia's "The Lost City" in the square top off the celebration.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Dallas dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.