1. Earlier this year we talked to the fascinating Mark Davis Bailey at Original Pancake House (OPH) about the five-day process involved in making their from scratch-pancakes. OPH will have house-made pumpkin pancakes (pictured above) on its menu starting next week. With a cup of fresh Cuvee coffee, this might be the best breakfast on a chilly fall morning.
2. Deep Ellum Brewing Company hired a new brewer earlier this year, Jeremy Hunt, who came to Dallas via Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Bluegrass Brewing Co. in Louisville, Kentucky. And he's about ready to release his first baby at DEBC: a smoked pumpkin ale with maple syrup and sweet potatoes.
Hunt describes it for us as "a bulbous Belgian-style brown ale brewed to celebrate the harvest and the onset of the fall season. Brewed with the addition of smoked pie pumpkins, sweet potatoes, maple syrup and spices, Gourdzilla is a big, sexy beast!"
Gourdzilla should be out in October.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
3. Cook Hall inside the W Hotel in Victory Park has a Pumpkin Sundae on the menu this fall. It's made with a house-made pumpkin ice cream, gingerbread, cranberries and a bourbon whipped cream.
4. Katherine Clapner at Dude, Sweet Chocolate is working on a handful of new dark-chocolate potions for the fall season. One is a Blackstrap Molasses Fudge with pecans and black strap molasses rum; an apple pie moonshine all of which is locally produced; and a chocolate pumpkin bread spread called Pumpkin Head. And don't forget to vote! You can all vote multiple times a day. The woman needs a tempering machine.
5. It's not like we need a season to visit Emporium Pies, but the fall pies are back. Drop Dead Gorgeous is a spicy pumpkin custard with gingerbread crust. There are also the Buttercream Gang, which is self-explanatory, and The Nannerz, a banana and vanilla custard. Finally, Cloud Nine is caramel, butterscotch pudding and brown sugar meringue.
6. We're longtime fans of Society Bakery on Lower Greenville. From petit fours to cupcakes and some honey and fig empanadas introduced last year, we all keep a close eye on new offerings. Owner Roshi Muns tells us she will introduce some new things on October 1, including a Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake and pumpkin whoopie pie.