Today QuakeCon 2013 kicks off its 17th annual celebration of id Software, their legacy and the love of gaming. The BYOC (bring your own computer) party has grown into a music-festival-type atmosphere in which 3,000 gamers camp out to live and breath video games for four days. This year the event will once again be held at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas from 10 a.m. today until 6 p.m. Sunday evening. If you're a first time attendee, here are just a few things you can expect from this weekend:
1. Miles and miles of cables.Thank the crew for their tireless organization so you can play with ease.
2. Workouts for the sedentary. The ultimate BYOC party means bringing your entire gaming system along for the ride.
3. Waiting. Be prepared to camp out pre-registration. Games and pillows recommended.
4. Thousands of gamers staring at computer screens for four straight days.
5. John Carmack X2. In addition to his annual keynote speech, the revered creator of id Software will be giving an additional presentation on the Principles of Light and Rendering in video games. Not to be missed!
5. Opportunities to compete with the best-of-the-best in Quake and Doom tournaments for cash prizes to be spent on more games and pimping out your system.
6. Experience the latest technology and software surrounding the gaming industry in the Exhibit Hall.
7. Super-sweet set-ups.
8. Costumes, of course. Not necessarily video game related.
9. Mini Games IRL (In real life). 60 seconds. It is what it sounds like.
9. Massive amounts of BAWLS. Learn to like it.
10. BAWLS. Chugging. Contest.
11. Booze. Necessary to neutralize high sugar and caffeine consumption. Take note: Booze. BAWLS. Repeat.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
12. A collective of North America's most dedicated gamers coming together for the biggest LAN video gaming party on the continent.