See also: The top 100 Texas songs
We've decided it was time to make a list of the five best from Brent Best and crew. Please feel free to chime in with your own selections.
1. "Barrel Chested" Hell, if the song was good enough to be included in the top 100 songs from Texas, it may as well be number uno here. Classic riff, cool lyrics and even some fine fiddling, this is alt-country, hayseed Nirvana (the destination, not the band).
2. "Give Me Back My Dog" When I first heard this song, I thought it was pretty funny, but later I started to feel for the guy who just wanted his pooch back from his conniving former girlfriend.
3. "Whiskey Glass Eye" The best song Paul Westerberg didn't write, this was my entry into the greatness of Slobberbone. Again, spurred on by a killer riff, Best sung like his life depended on it. Maybe it did.
4. "Trust Jesus" A gem, a paean to a religiously inspired graffiti artist. What a wonderfully warped mind Brent Best has.
5. "I Can Tell Your Love is Waning" The toughest song in the band's catalog. "Like being caught behind a cattle truck and all you smell is shit" is how Best describes this particular relationship. I guess things could only get better.