A Thanksgiving Helping of Weird Crime News, Complete With Hot Dripping Grease

It's the day before Thanksgiving, which means we probably should be explaining to you the proper basting technique or giving you tips on deep frying a turkey without setting your neighborhood ablaze. But we don't know really know what "basting" is, and we're not very good at not setting stuff on fire.

What we can do is comb through police reports to pluck out the stupid and the weird. So, in case you were curious, here's all the things you missed on November 20.

2:20 p.m.: A teenaged girl was walking near Skyline High School when a boy approached her, asking for her phone number. She wouldn't give it to him. Then, he asked for money. She said she didn't have any and turned to walk away, accidentally dropping cash on the ground as she did. She quickly picked it up and stuffed it in her shirt, but the boy had seen it. "I'm gonna go get my homeboy so I can rob you," he said. The boy returned with said homeboy and began hitting the girl in the face with a purple shirt, trying to grab the money from her shirt. He grabbed the bag she was carrying but dropped it when a witness announced she was calling the police. When officers arrived, they found the boy on the bus and arrested him.

7:25 p.m.: Three kids walked into the Sports Authority on Central Expressway and tried to walk out with some $450 worth of basketball shorts, plus some socks, flip flops, shirts, and watches. A loss prevention officer spotted them and grabbed one of the boys by the arm, forcing him to the ground until police arrived. That didn't last long. The boy bit the loss prevention officer in the chest, enabling him to flee with his friends toward the DART rail. A DART police officer caught up with the trio on the train at Haskell Avenue. They ran. The officer gave chase, eventually caught up with the kid, holding him at gunpoint until backup could arrive. The boy who had done the biting got away, but his two accomplices did not. They were taken by police to their homes, where they were released to their mothers.

10:40 p.m.: Rickey Traylor called police to Village Oaks Apartments on Overton Road to report an attempted robbery. He had been in his apartment when he heard a scuffle on the landing outside. He told officers that he opened his door to find a man loading a round into an AK-47. He closed the door and called 911. When police arrived, Traylor told them about the the guy with the assault rifle and that he was probably there to settle a dispute about the drugs Traylor sells. Police were skeptical of Traylor's story but went ahead and seized a scale and an unspecified amount of marijuana.

11:30 p.m.: A security guard was making his rounds at an apartment complex in the 9700 block of Forest Lane when he heard loud screams coming from one of the units. Further investigations revealed that the screams belonged to a 21-year-old man who had been asleep when his girlfriend poured hot grease onto his head. He was taken to Parkland Hospital, where he was treated for burns.