Medical Panel Suspends Carrollton Physician Assistant With History of Cocaine-Induced Psychosis

Mark Henry Kett's troubles with the Texas Medical Board began on Feb. 23, 2008, when Carrollton police received a disturbance call at his home. They found Kett armed with a semi-automatic pistol and ranting about assassins who had come to his house to kill his wife. He had fired off a single shot at the intruders, who he pointed out in a video he showed to officers. The video showed only a blank wall.

Kett, who is 48 and has been licensed as a physician assistant since 1994, was taken to Parkland, where he tested positive for cocaine and marijuana and was diagnosed with substance-induced psychosis after telling medical personnel about the men on his roof.

Five weeks later, Kett called Carrollton police to alert them to a burglary in progress. He heard intruders on the second floor of his house, he told police, before hanging up "to brush his teeth." Officers found no evidence of suspicious activity despite the video evidence Kett provided, but they did find several guns, a large bag of prescription medication, and a bag of cocaine. He was arrested a month later on an unrelated cocaine possession offense, to which he pleaded guilty.

The drug possession conviction cost Kett his position with his supervising physician, who cut ties with Kett and alerted the TMB. The board reached a settlement with Kett on Dec. 9, 2011 in which he agreed to a change in his registration with the DEA that prevents him from writing or administering certain prescriptions, pay a $1,500 fine, and, lastly, to stop using illicit drugs. He kept his physician's assistant license.

Kett did not, according to the TMB, carry out his end of the bargain. On July 2, he tested positive for THC, indicating he had used marijuana. On October 6, a hair sample from Kett tested positive for cocaine.

A TMB disciplinary panel determined on Tuesday that Kett had violated his agreed order and suspended his license until further notice.