According to Manziel's former girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, Manziel hit her in the head so hard she temporarily lost hearing in her left ear and threatened her life the night of January 30.
After her testimony last week, the grand jury agreed that Manziel should be indicted for "striking [Crowley] with a hand and [for] forcing [Crowley] into a vehicle and against a vehicle dashboard."
With the indictment finalized, a warrant has been issued for Manziel. He's currently in Los Angeles but is expected to turn himself in in Dallas Tuesday or Wednesday, his attorney Robert Hinton told the Associated Press. Manziel will plead not guilty, Hinton said.
Manziel was cut by the Cleveland Browns and dropped by agent Drew Rosenhaus earlier in 2016. No NFL team has shown any significant interest in the quarterback. Despite that, Manziel, in a statement issued last week, said that he hopes to play this season.
"I’m hoping to take care of the issues in front of me right now so I can focus on what I have to do if I want to play in 2016,” Manziel said. “I also continue to be thankful to those who really know me and support me."
Update 12:07 p.m.: Dallas County District Attorney Susan Hawk has issued a statement:
“The Dallas County Grand Jury is responsible for determining whether there is probable cause that the crime alleged in the case they are presented with, has occurred and should move forward in the criminal prosecution process. During this secret proceeding, both the State and the Defense have the opportunity to present information about the case, to the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury’s review of Mr. Manziel’s case has resulted in a “true bill”, which means that there was probable cause found that Mr. Manziel committed a Family Violence Assault against the complainant. Therefore, this case will move forward in the criminal justice system and be prosecuted by the District Attorney’s Office. As always, we respect the criminal justice process and the decision that the Dallas County Grand Jury has made in regards to this case.”