Six of the Biggest Misconceptions From the Dallas Shooting, Debunked

Last Thursday's police ambush in downtown Dallas was a perfect storm for confusion. A big, participatory event (the protest against police-involved shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota) with media in place on the ground. Mix in social live-streaming through Facebook live and apps like Periscope. Add a violent act meant to inspire chaos, and misinformation is bound to flow freely. Dallas Police Chief David Brown, exemplary throughout the shooting and its aftermath, added fuel to the burning rumor fire in his attempt to be as transparent and forthcoming as possible.

Now that we have a clearer picture of just what went down on the west side of Dallas' Central Business District, let's take a look at some of the biggest misconceptions that have surrounded — and continued to surround —  last week's events.

1. Shooter Micah Xavier Johnson, the shooter, was cornered and killed in the El Centro College parking garage. He wasn't. According to El Centro Police Chief Joseph Hannigan, Johnson was cornered and killed by a Dallas Police Andros Mark V-A1 robot and a pound of C4 on the second floor of El Centro's C Building. Johnson shot his way into the college, which doesn't actually have a parking facility of its own, after apparently commencing his attack near El Centro's front entrance on Main Street. The confusion about the exact location of Johnson's death stems largely from statements made early Friday morning referring to the school's Elm Street facing loading dock, which looks like it could be a parking facility, but isn't. 
2. There were multiple arrests made in downtown Thursday night. After Johnson began shooting, Dallas Police detained several people who were legally carrying firearms at the protest. Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings estimated about 20 detentions took place. Despite reports, stemming from statements made by Brown at a press conference Thursday night, by multiple media outlets (including the Observer) that three people were arrested after the rally, Dallas police actually made only one arrest connected to the march that preceded the shooting. Brandon Waller, 25, was arrested near the intersection of Main and Field Streets downtown for carrying a brass knuckle knife. Having the illegal weapon meant that the .40 caliber handgun he had on his person was also illegally carried, despite his Virginia concealed carry license. The Observer captured video of his tense arrest: 
3. Micah Johnson killed himself. Right after police sources began telling reporters on the ground downtown that Johnson was dead, KXAS, Dallas' NBC affiliate, reported that Johnson killed himself. It turned out that Johnson was killed by the bomb squad robot. Monday morning, Brown told a press conference that the robot survived the incident, only suffering damage to the arm that carried the C4 that killed Johnson. So even the robot didn't kill itself.