Concert Reviews

Eli Young Band's House Party was a Mixed Bag at Globe Life Park on Saturday

Page 2 of 2

See also: How the Eli Young Band Stays Grounded As It Takes Off Eli Young Band Announce Second-Annual House Party at Globe Life Park Why Maddie & Tae's "Girl In A Country Song" Is Good For Country Music

From the start of their set headlining the evening, the sound was bad. The vocals and instruments seemed to not be properly balanced and Eli's words and vocals were hard to decipher. Frankly, karaoke on a Saturday night at the Round-Up Saloon sounds better than Eli Young Band sounded at their own party.

They started their set at about 10 p.m. Right off the bat, during "Prayer for the Road," Eli sounded off-pitch and the sound squealed like a turn-your-head-because-that-hurts-my-ears sound. Within about 20 minutes, people had begun flooding out of the ballpark.

Before long, the ballpark looked similar to a typical Tuesday afternoon game in July when the Rangers are below .500. People were leaving like they actually needed to sober up and get a good night's rest before church in the morning. It could have been the cold or it could have been that opening acts Pat Green and Gary Allan already played and the Eli Young Band wasn't doing much to convince people to stick around.

There were some even weirder interludes that popped up as the show went on, too. During recent hit "Drunk Last Night," the opening acts played beer pong/ping pong (basically it was a bunch of drunk country singers playing with balls) on the stage behind Eli to give the song and atmosphere that frat-boy-party feel. But when Eli's microphone went completely out about halfway through, crew members grabbed the beer pong table and escorted it off like cops just busted their frat party. The band never returned to or finished that song, instead just moved on after about a one-minute break to try to sort out the sound issues.

After a few more songs, during their more ballad-type tune "Guinevere," Eli stopped the song, and the band followed, stopping all music. Eli handed over his guitar to a stage manager. He didn't speak into the microphone to let anyone know what was happening. Instead, he crouched down and began taking selfies with the crowd in the pit. After several minutes of complete silence from the stage, band and crew members began throwing out T-shirts because when all else fails, free T-shirts.

Rangers announcer Chuck Morgan soon spoke over the PA, because apparently he works at all times, to let the crowd know it was an issue with the power generator, but ensured everyone that the band would play their entire set even if they had to play all night.

After the 15-minute break, the band did come back to play "Small Town Kid," but the sound wasn't any better. Eli told the crowd -- who by this point were only the most dedicated and drunk -- that even though he had a smile on his face, he was probably going to punch a wall that night and follow it up with a lot to drink. He didn't have to wait too long because after their next song, "Crazy Girl," the show was over. The drummer tossed his drumsticks to the crowd and Eli waved goodbye. As a sort of "Let's see if I can help my buddies out," Green came back onstage and signed autographs for fans in the pit. Hey, he didn't have a bad show. No need for him to sulk.

KEEP THE DALLAS OBSERVER FREE... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Paige Skinner has written for the Dallas Observer since 2014.
Contact: Paige Skinner