Sure, 2008 may be done, but the list-making still continues... This year, five contributors to the Dallas Observer's music section were asked to participate in the Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop critics' poll, which compiles the lists of hundreds of music critics across the country into one massive, hopefully conclusive, aggregate list. Over the next couple of days, we'll be posting various excerpts of their choices for the best of '08.
After the jump, Jesse Hughey's favorite records from 2008--in approximate, descending order. But, first, a teaser for one of his picks...
Pretty much in descending order ...
10 (tie). Alejandro Escovedo -- Real Animal; Black Angels -- Directions To See A Ghost
9. Devin The Dude - Landing Gear
8. TV On The Radio - Dear Science
7. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
6. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
5. Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It
4. Astronautalis - Pomegranate
3. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah, Pt. 1: 4th World War
2. Parts and Labor - Receivers
1. Stumptone - Gravity Suddenly Released
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the Observer's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Dallas's stories with no paywalls.