4
| News |

Could Be Quite the Showdown Today Between Specialty-Food Vendors and Dallas City Hall

^
Keep Dallas Observer Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Dallas and help keep the future of Dallas Observer free.

Today's meeting of the city council's Transportation & Environment Committee, scheduled for a 2 p.m. kickoff at Dallas City Hall, should be an exciting one, for a change. That's because, as we noted Friday, the committee will discuss not only making it easier to start up a community garden, but it will also talk about licensing and regulating neighborhood farmers markets -- a sore spot ever since the city started shutting 'em down in September.

Several local specialty-food vendors to whom I spoke over the weekend -- including Dude, Sweet Chocolate's Katherine Clapner, who opened her Bishop Arts storefront 10 days ago, much to my dad's delight -- aren't at all happy with the proposal that Dallas Farmers Market will issue the permits for the neighborhood markets. Far as they're concerned, the only reasons the neighborhood markets popped up in the first place is because Dallas Farmers Market more or less ran off the specialty vendors by demanding they sign restrictive vendor agreements. Clapner said yesterday it was her success at the smaller markets that allowed her to open the Bishop Arts location; she's never sold downtown.

Vendors are also unhappy with the proposed guidelines that would limit the number of neighborhood markets allowed by City Hall to 10 -- all of which must be three miles from each other ... and three miles from Dallas Farmers Market. The city's also proposing to cap the amount of specialty foods sold to 20 percent; the other 80 percent must be "local farm-grown produce," a restriction that, says one local farmer, would put Dallas Farmers Market out of business. I understand all the familiar specialty-foods vendors around town will be down at City Hall today. Schutze'll be there too -- let him know if you need him to pick up anything.

Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the Observer community and help support independent local journalism in Dallas.

 

Join the Observer community and help support independent local journalism in Dallas.