A Carrollton puppy is expected to make a full recovery after a heroin overdose in the parking lot of a Carrollton Home Depot.
Nina Crawford, 38, and Thomas Romero, 46, left the dog in the floorboards of their truck as the went into the home improvement store to switch price tags so they could buy items cheaply, then return them at their higher retail price, according to Carrollton PD. The dog found a packet of heroin and ate it, according to police.
Police arrested Crawford and Romero, charging them with heroin possession and fraudulent destruction, removal, or concealment of writing. North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic treated the dog, who is now being cared for at the City of Carrollton Animal Adoption Center.
Carrollton police named the dog an honorary K-9 officer.
Although this puppy will survive, heroin is extremely dangerous to dogs because of how quickly it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. Dogs who've ingested the drug often have pinpoint pupils, slowed or stopped breathing and motor function issues, according to the Animal Poison Control Center.
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.