The Reluctant Witness

Page 3 of 9

It wasn't until nearly three weeks later, on July 3, that Ron Davis talked face to face with police, although they say they tried several times earlier to schedule an interview. "We sat outside for two and half hours before he let us in," Nichols says, describing the first time police were able to talk to Davis at length. Davis didn't answer the door at first, but neighbors told them they had seen him come home, so the investigators parked their car and waited until he let them in, Nichols says. "One of the first things he asked us was, 'Am I a suspect?'" she says. She recalls telling him, "No, this is a missing persons case."

Davis, who ran a tape recorder throughout the conversation, says he let the three detectives "examine every room in my home."

Autumn, who says she has become increasingly skeptical over the past year of what she's heard from her dad, says her father's schedule was the only thing that struck her as unusual the morning Sharon disappeared. "My mom told me the night before, she told me to move the car because he was supposed to have a breakfast meeting in the morning," she says. "I really didn't understand, because I usually get up at 6:30." That morning when she got up, she says, her father was already gone.

Autumn and Ronnie say their mother was usually prompt and methodical and always let them know where she'd be. Sharon was taking a class at UTA, working toward becoming a school principal. So, Ronnie says, after his sister phoned and said their mother hadn't come home that evening, he checked around the Arlington campus, then retraced the routes his mother might have driven that day, thinking perhaps her van had broken down.

Later that night, he says, he urged his father to call police. Ronnie and Autumn say their father told them that night that a missing persons complaint could not be filed in the first 24 hours. In the morning, police records indicate, he placed the call.

Detectives say when they first talked to Davis, he told them Sharon was probably not missing but had just gone off, maybe to Lake Tahoe. "He told us at first he fully expected her to be at Lake Tahoe. She had been talking about going to Lake Tahoe," Nichols says. "We checked the hotels. We found nothing."

Beverly Ware, Sharon's sister, who works as an entertainment lawyer in Los Angeles, and Sandra Brewer, a neighbor and close friend of Sharon's, say Sharon was trying to organize a trip with them to the California resort the next month, once the divorce papers were served and the separation was under way.

It made no sense to anyone who knew Sharon Davis that she would up and leave--on a vacation, or anywhere else--without saying a word to her kids.

Kevin Jordan, a medical-products salesman who, along with his wife, Mary, had been friends with the Davises for 17 years, says Ron Davis told him that first week that she simply left. To Jordan, that didn't fit. "She was crazy about her kids. She's never displayed a hint she'd go off...and not be in contact so long. It's impossible."

Says Ozzie Brewer, a neighbor of 10 years who was close enough to attend Sharon's 50th birthday party, "No way she would wander off. No way. Those children were her life. She wasn't going to up and go, with no plans. No plans. Her only plan that day was to go to school."

Ron Davis also told police that his wife had taken off with a large sum of cash--$10,000 or more that had been kept in the house.

Nichols says it would have been helpful to police if they knew where the money had been hidden. "Let's say, for example, as soon as Autumn got out, someone took a gun and stuck it in Sharon's face and said, 'Take me to your house. I want everything you have.' These things happen every day. We could have fingerprinted that safe if her prints were on it, anyone's prints."

When detectives asked Davis to show them where the cash had been stored, Nichols says, "He told us that was none of our business."

Soon after their first encounter, Nichols says, Davis hired a lawyer, Cheryl Wattley, and he has declined to say where and with whom he had his early-morning meeting. "His attorney has told us basically he doesn't have to," Nichols says. "He didn't appear to want to be cooperative. Having an uncooperative witness in a missing persons case makes that investigation all the more difficult."

KEEP THE DALLAS OBSERVER FREE... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Thomas Korosec
Contact: Thomas Korosec

Latest Stories