Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Plaaaaaay baaalllllll! My prediction: Your Texas Rangers will finish second to the Anaheim Angels in the AL West and miss the playoffs. Hey, repeatin' ain't easy. For most teams in baseball losing in the World Series would have been disappointing, but for Texas 2010 was/is a success -- in fact, the franchise's crowning achievement.
- OK, I'll finally come out and admit it: The Sportatorium is one big contrived, fabricated attempt to attract attention, prompt reaction and cash a paycheck. I don't really believe what I write, nor do I write what I believe.
- I'm a life-long Mavericks homer -- at times irrationally so -- but after last night's 28-point thrashing at the hands of the Lakers it's difficult to combat the critics who claim they're the same ol' soft team that can't win a championship. I came to this conclusion precisely when Lamar Odom grabbed a rebound and dribbled the length of the court for an uncontested layup and a 90-70 L.A. lead.
- Truth be told, you guys were right. I so wanted a job at 1310 The Ticket that I've committed most of the waking energy trying my damndest to tear that station down. Jealousy, turns out, is a powerful drug.
- And, no, I wasn't impressed by the cheap-shot shove by the Mavs' Jason Terry on Steve Blake or Brian Cardinal's hard whack to the head of Pau Gasol. Better than just lying down and taking it from the Laker bullies I guess, but it wasn't anything to lead me to believe Dallas can beat L.A. in a playoff series.
- Despite the fact that there are more stars in the sky than there are grains of sand on the Earth, I'm faithfully convinced God created our universe and selected us as the one and only species of human life. We're just "chosen," that's all.
- Today in Arlington Mike Napoli starts at first base. So much for not protecting Mitch Moreland from tough lefties like Jon Lester.
- When I look at myself honestly in the mirror, it really, really hurts when some commenters in here call me a "douche." So much so that I'm teetering on the brink of totally changing my look and my sound and my style and my, well, everything.
- Sharks 6, Stars 0. That's five straight losses and their playoff chances are going ... going ... gone?
- I actually have a white pickup that I drive for manly man errands and whatnot.
- One of the oddest couples we've come across: Former Cowboys defensive end Ed "Too Tall" Jones and NASCAR's Charlotte Motor Speedway. Jones was there this week to help unveil the new, biggest HD TV screen in the history of sports. Sorry, Mr. Jones, JumboJerry has already been outdid.
- I feel really slimy for recently breaking bad news about Aqib Talib, because he's basically a good guy who deserves better. Yes, kill the messenger.
- Another pay-for-play scandal or two in college football this week, and I guess we're supposed to be shocked. But aren't players getting paid becoming as commonplace as baseball players using steroids in the '90s? Doesn't make it right. Just no longer shocking.
- For those of you who love to hate my
meteroicmediocre radio career, it just got easier. That's right, embrace your RAGE on iTunes. No, seriously.
- For what it's worth, long-time Rangers TV play-by-play voice Josh Lewin won't be at the ballpark today. But he will, at some point, receive an AL Championship ring.
- This weekend? I'll be out -- and about? -- from Sherlock's in Arlington on 105.3 The Fan during today's Rangers opener. Then let's keep it simple by finishing up another Observer cover story and then maybe some spring cleaning in the form of organizing the garage. I know. Scintillating. Don't be a stranger.
- Today is not April 1.