People may poke fun at her striking bob, but none disparage Lisa Garza's skill in the kitchen. This year the sometime singer and sort of restaurateur gained fame nationally as a contestant on The Next Food Network Star and locally through tons of media buzz.
Whether she makes it big time or--dare we risk jinxing her with the 'flash in the pan' line?--doesn't matter. She's one hell of a cook. Her favorite gadgets from a whirlwind year:
1. Riedel Amadeo Lyra decanter (Pogos, $350)
2. Mother of pearl caviar dish with sterling silver trim and matching spoons (Pogos, $86 for dish with spoon; $65 for set of two spoons)
3. Chef' N salad dressing emulsifier (Williams Sonoma, $14.95)
4. Microplane zester grater (Sur la Table, $13)
5. Kuhn-Rikon corn zipper (Williams Sonoma, $12.95)
6. OXO cherry pitter (Sur la Table, $12.95)
7. Formaticum cheese papers (Sur la Table, $10)
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the Observer's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Dallas's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
8. Potato ricer (Target, $9.99)
9. Danesco vegetable scrubbing gloves (Target, $9.99)
10. French Tin egg poacher (Sur la Table, $6.95)
--City of Ate staff (with thanks to Lisa Garza)