After you figure out whose bed you're in, whose underwear you're wearing and how to get home, here are a few tips for hangover recovery on New Year's Day:
1. Eat donuts Donuts are the perfect booze-sopping-up grease bomb. Added bonus: on New Year's Day, the Dutch believe that eating donuts (or anything ring-shaped) will bring you good luck because it symbolizes "coming full circle." Yummy Donuts (4355 W. Lovers Lane) is open New Year's Day. Pay $6.50 for a dozen glazed or try one of their Fruity Pebbles-topped donuts.
2. Make some Texas Caviar Texas Caviar is another "lucky" food to make on New Year's Day. As you'll be waking up still too drunk to make anything, have your designated other whip up this little gem from Central Market.
Texas Caviar by Central Market 3 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed 1 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped 1 cup thinly sliced green onions 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped Italian parsley 2 serrano chiles, minced 4 large garlic cloves, crushed 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar 1 cup plus 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Combine the peas, bell peppers, green onions, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, chiles, garlic, tomato, vinegar and olive oil in a bowl and mix well. Chill, covered, for eight hours or longer. Stir in pepper and let stand until room temperature. Serve with tortilla chips.
3. Cure it naturally Visit Newflower Farmers Market (1800 N Henderson Ave.) from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. when they'll be featuring "natural remedy hangover cures to bring in the new year without a bang!" While it might be too late for some of us to bring in the new year without a bang (high fives all around), these natural remedies could be amazing.
4. Shake Weight that hangover away Whether you remember it or not, you promised yourself last night that this year you'd get rockin' bi's and tri's. If you didn't get a Shake Weight at the annual office Secret Santa exchange, go buy yourself one. "Workout" for two minutes and call that resolution resolved. Screw joining a gym, this is awesome!
5. Regurgitate, then, repair and reinvigorate with yoga Between noon and 2 p.m. on New Year's Day, check out Uptown Yoga's 108 Sun Salutations class. Optional hungover sun salutations include The Double Middle Finger, Hair of The Downward Dog and I Hate Choo, Sun!
6. Screw it, get a hotel room. Your house is trashed from last night's party and cleaning up other peoples' vodka-and-tonic limes is a decidedly unsafe hangover activity. Our recommendation: The "Fa La La La ZaZa" Holiday Package from Hotel ZaZa (2332 Leonard St.). You get a room, drink tickets, turn-down service with "milk and cookies" (Bailey's and cookies) and breakfast for two in Dragonfly.