Seems everybody loves a big tubby panda. Like, everybody. All over the world. They pop up in commercials for many kinds of cuisine and with all sorts of attitudes. They can be lovable, they can be stoners, they can be full on bullies. But it seems like panda bears are a universal go-to for a commercial good enough to rewind...or at least end up on YouTube.
Here's our take on the top 10 food-related ads starring pandas. Some are weird and some are awesome, but all feature your favorite black-and-white bamboo-eater.
10. Polka Panda Ice Cream: This one is from Pakistan and features not only an interesting take on what a panda should look like, but also acting through facial expression.
9. Kit Kat: Poor guy. All he wanted was a shot of the pandas from his trip to the zoo. Then watch what happens. Seems like exactly the opposite message you'd want to associate with your product: Eat a Kit Kat, miss out on roller-skating pandas.
8. Knorr Beef Tonight: The UK is so cool. You can adopt pandas there and they'll totally eat dinner with you.
7. Hello Panda: Look, it's a little known fact outside of Japan, but pandas love soccer. So, clearly, the message here is "Enjoy sports, enjoy Hello Panda!" Clearly.
6. Cadbury Gems Surprise: Like life lessons, pandas aren't always black and white. Sometimes, when candy is involved, they are vibrant in color and play with life size action figures that fall out of magic toy balls. Like life, pandas are awesome.
5. Snickers: While this commercial is strange and wonderful, it is wrong. We would totally go to lunch with the guy who keeps a centerfold of a pretty, pretty panda. The conversation alone would be worth it. Then later, we might hole up for a Snickers and talk about it.
4. Fox's Biscuits: Cannot handle the way Vinnie says "biscuits."
3. Snapple: These pandas are such assholes. Who doesn't love a panda with a healthy feel for sarcasm?
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the Observer's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Dallas's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
2. Wanchai Ferry: This one is stellar for two reasons. First, the panda could be fresh off a bong rip...which, we're guessing, would appeal to a certain demographic of folks who shouldn't be driving and are in no position to make complicated delivery orders. Second, if you don't listen closely, it totally sounds like the panda says, "I can feel it goin' out anyway." Disturbing, gross and awesome all at once.
1. Panda Cheese: We cheated on this one, really. We couldn't decide between the commercials that Panda uses for its cheese campaign so we found them all on one YouTube offering. Problem solved. And "just you know why"... Because we're not about to say no to that panda.