A new restaurant, Victoria's Mexican Grill, will be opening soon in two-story house at 607 Willomet Ave., just down from Norma's Café. The house is undergoing a remodel right now, including new doors and windows. Wrap-around patios both upstairs and downstairs look like they have a lot of potential, and I'm anxious to see the final product.
I tried calling to get the scoop, but can't get in touch with them. Here's what we know based on the exterior of their building and Facebook:
• They're hiring, which is usually an indication a place is weeks from opening.
• They'll be serving piña coladas out of real hollowed-out pineapples.
• Carlos wants you guys to call him for the water and sewer permits.
• They have a fax number, which is good to see faxes are still appreciated by people other than myself. They were a game changer, people. Lest we forget ...
• Victoria's expects to serve the best Tex-Mex in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.
• They don't take personal checks, but they do take all major credit cards.
I love a good investigation. As soon as they open I hope to investigate their enchiladas and piña coladas, hopefully at a table on one of those large wrap-around patios.
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.