There are few things more refreshing on Christmas morning than wheeling the dial and finding an original Christmas song. Or, at least, one that is not by Mariah Carey.
Our parents have to be sick of it too. They just have to be.
The frustrating thing is that there are handfuls of damn fine Christmas songs -- both originals and covers -- from bands that aren't American Idol big, and yet are still ripe for family listening.
So, here we present a list of bad ass Christmas songs -- ones that fall under the nebulous "indie" umbrella -- to replace that depressing, fourth-repeat of Karen Carpenter playing on the radio.
Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston can rest their voices this year because we're bringing our own mixtape, and it's totally got My Morning Jacket it on it.
Check it out after the jump.
1. Badly Drawn Boy - Donna & Blitzen
2. Mayer Hawthorne - Christmastime is Here
3. Low - "Little Drummer Boy"
4. The Raveonettes "The Christmas Song" -
5. Reigning Sound "If Christmas Can't Bring You Home" -
6. Kate Bush - "December Will be Magic Again"
7. XTC - Thanks for Christmas
8. Sufjan Stevens - "Joy to the World"
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
9. My Morning Jacket - Xmas
10. My Morning Jacket - Xmas Time is Here Again