Photo by Liz Tracy
Yes, these are ten talkative fashionistas of Ultra Music Festival 2013. Certainly, there were some better dressed, and others more sensibly garbed. But the following folks found during night one of 2013's three-day shit fest -- they were the ones who most caught our eye.
These bass junkies in tutus, dead starfish, Pokémon body suits, and Halloween costumes offered words of fashion advice and reflection. Click on to uncover how to dress like a raver at Ultra.
By Liz Tracy
10. Ballerina Bassers Hometown: Pompano. Ultra: Their first. Most excited to see: Fat Boy Slim.
When you were getting dressed today, what made you put on the tutus? It actually takes weeks of preparation. We just wanted to incorporate as many colors that we could find. Pretty much anything goes. We've been going to these things for a while. So the first time we came, we really didn't dress up, until we saw how everyone was dressed. It's just: Express yourself.
Do you feel emasculated in your tutu, or more masculine in it? The weirder the shit I wear, the more I get hit on. So, no. My footsie pajamas -- it's ridiculous.
Tip: Dudes, if you want some ass, wear a tutu.
9. Star Spangled Basser Hometown: New Jersey. Ultra: She came last year and dressed up both times. Most excited to see: Tiësto, Kaskade, Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia. Boots: Bought them at I Heart Rave.
What inspired your style? Just the vibe. It's so free. I just love it.
Favorite look here besides your own? Just a lot of jewels, sparkles, colors.
Tip: You can be appropriately patriotic in public, even outside of a Nascar event.
8. I Want to Be Where the Ravers Are Hometown: Austin Ultra: First Most excited to see: Swedish House Mafia and David Guetta. Fact: That's a real starfish on her head that she made into a clip.
You're like a mermaid, right? I'm Ariel.
What made you dress up like this? My friends and I just wanted to do a theme, so we're all Disney princesses.
What's up with the fanny pack? It's a practical thing? Yeah, I've carried purses before, and it's like heavy, and I want to dance. It's really comfortable.
What about the wig? Think you're going to get hot? It's actually pretty cold here. Perfect weather.
Tip: It's better for you and your friends to all dress like different princesses than all like Ariel.
7. Trippin' Beads Hometown: Miami Ultra: Not their first.
You made this mask yourself? I knew I wanted to make a mask. I didn't know what design I wanted. What I have is a melting rainbow. These are all neon beads, so they glow in the black light. The "PQ" in the middle actually stands for his [clothing] company Phun Q.
What about your makeup? How'd you do that? You take any kind of eye shadow. You wet the brush, and you paint it on. Then you take a liquid eyeliner and you draw a whole bunch of parentheses around your eyes. And it looks like leopard print.
Tip: That eye look would work anywhere but a Christening.
6. Feather Freakout Hometown: Brooklyn, not Ireland, even though he had an Irish accent. Ultra: First. Fact: His shirt asked, "Is this real life?"
Why did you decide to wear this? Why not?
Is this real life? It is. I think so. Maybe.
You going to come back next year? No. I feel like it's a one and done thing.
Who'd you come to see? To be honest, I'm here for the drugs. I don't care.
Tip: People are on drugs, fashion doesn't matter.
5. Goth Lobster Who: Anastasia the Great. Fact: Her dancers are from Russia.
Did you make this out fit? I am Anastasia the Great, this is my stage. Every day is like Halloween for me.
You like any musicians here? I like Tiesto. My favorite. I like techno and house. I hate hip-hop.
Tip: Lobsters on clothing, even black hats, are always appetizing.
4. Somewhere Over the Rainbow Hometown: Orlando. Ultra: One had been to four Ultras, another had been to two. Most excited to see: Carl Cox and Swedish House Mafia.
What inspired your costume? Pretty much, I was this for Halloween, thought it was supercool. So I wanted to be supercool at supercool Ultra.
What advice would you give to other girls who want to come to Ultra? [Screaming] Come! And just have fun!
Fashion advice? [Cute friend in a rainbow boa with face jewels, screaming] Glitter, glitter, glitter! Wear whatever you want!
Tip: Anything Wizard of Oz works.
3. Sock It to Me Hometown: California, and she's from New York. Ultra: Their first. Most excited to see: Sweedish House Mafia.
Where did you get your socks? Her: We got them in Harajuku, Japan.
What encouraged you to wear just these crazy socks today? Her: 'Cause we thought no one else would be rocking them. And they have such wild fashion over there.
How would you describe your style typically? Him: Fucking chillin'!
Tip: Understated is underrated at Ultra.
2. This Magic Kingdom Hometown: Georgia. Ultra: Their first. Most excited to see: Swedish House Mafia, Above and Beyond, Bassnectar.
How would you describe your style? Colorful!
Why'd you decide to dress up today? Right: 'Cause we want to. Left: I wanted an excuse to wear my red lipstick.
Do you make these (bracelets)? Yeah.
Why Minnie Mouse ears? Left: 'Cause it was fun, and I knew it was going to make me feel pretty.
Tip: Those bracelets everyone wears are actually really great and remind everyone one of childhood summer days. No?
1. Hey You, Pikachu! Hometown: Miami. Ultra: Third.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
What's with Pikachu? I just love Pikachu. It's the most loved and caring Pokémon of them all. So why not be loved and cared for by all on this special weekend?
Did you make this mask? Yeah.
Why'd you wear this to Ultra instead of something else? I just wanted to be original, stand out.
Tip: Full body suits work only when the weather is crisp.