There's a lot of bad movies out there made better by music. There are also a lot of indie movies out there made famous by music.
The unsung heroes, however--beyond the Oscar--winning soundtracks and the Garden States of the world--are those great bands made up completely for the benefit of the movie. In other words: Where would we all be without the joy of This Is...Spinal Tap? It would be a grim, un-fantastic movie world, that's for sure.
This list of the best fictional bands ever created for Hollywood is merely a tip of the iceberg. But, we hope, it's still a solid catalog of the very best fictional bands out there in film.
It's also possible that this list is just an excuse to talk about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Anyway, check our list out after the jump.
1. Spinal Tap - This is Spinal Tap
2. Citizen Dick - Singles
3. The Wonders, aka The One-ders - That Thing You Do!
4. Stillwater - Almost Famous
5. Eddie and The Cruisers - Eddie and The Cruisers
6. Josie & the Pussycats - Josie & the Pussycats
7. Berko, also Rex Manning - Empire Records
8. Bad Blake - Crazy Heart
9. The Kinky Wizards/Barry Jive & the Uptown Five/Kathleen Turner Overdrive/Sonic Death Monkey - High Fidelity
10. Hey, That's My Bike - Reality Bites
11. Loveburger - Can't Hardly Wait
12. Buckaroo Banzai - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
The Wild Stallions Wyld Stallyns - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
14. Infant Sorrow - Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him To The Greek
15. The Lone Rangers - Airheads
16. The Commitments - The Commitments
17. Big Fun - Heathers
18. Otis Day & The Knights - Animal House
19. Blues Brothers - Blues Brothers
20. Blueshammer - Ghost World
21. Sausalito - Lost in Translation
22. Hangman's Joke - The Crow
23. The Soggy Bottom Boys - O, Brother, Where Art Thou?
24. Camel Lips - Serial Mom
25. Crucial Taunt - Wayne's World
26. The Cheap Girls - The Money Pit
27. Cherry Bomb - Howard the Duck
28. The Folksman - A Mighty Wind
29. The New Main Street Singers - A Mighty Wind
30. Mitch & Mickey - A Mighty Wind
31. Munchausen By Proxy - Yes Man
32. River Bottom Nightmare Band, Emmet Otter's Jug Band - Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
33. Diamonds In the Rough - Saving Silverman
34. Ellen Aim & the Attackers - Streets of Fire
35. The Five Heartbeats - The Five Heartbeats
36. The Max Rebo Band, Figrin D'an & the Modal Nodes - Star Wars
37. The Flaming Creatures - Velvet Goldmine
38. Maxwell Demon w/ Venus in Furs - Velvet Goldmine
39. Tommy Gnosis & Hedwig & the Angry Inch - Hedwig & the Angry Inch
40. Dead Pink - Friends 'Til the End
41. Suburban Funk - The New Guy
42. Fuck You Yankee Blue Jeans -- Clerks
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the Observer's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Dallas's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
43. School of Rock - School of Rock
44. Autobahn - The Big Lebowski
45. The Tri-Lambs - Revenge of the Nerds