Dallas Man to 911: "I'm Just Going to Fire Gunshots into the Air to Get Police Here"

Late Friday night, Kevin Koudelka arrived home to discover that one of the windows of his Lake Highlands house had been shattered by a brick, and that whoever had thrown the brick had stepped through the broken window, and had done so numerous times en route from the car to the house. No surprise there. It would have been tough to make off with a gun safe containing seven knives,15,000 rounds of ammunition and a $15,000 diamond ring; a Macbook with charger; an iPhone charger; a pair of binoculars; a $2,000 Louis Vuitton purse; and one dozen bottles of Screaming Eagle wine in a single trip.

Koudelka called 911 at 11:52 p.m. to report the burglary. When no officers had arrived within several minutes, he called again, then a third time at 12:29 a.m., more than a half-hour after his initial cal. During that last call, which is described in a police report, Koudelka suggested that his case was not being given the priority it deserved.

Koudelka: "Do I need to call it in as a burglary in progress or something to get ya'll out here quicker?"

Operator: "The guy who broke into the house, is he there?"

Koudelka:"Yes he's here, he's here. I got him at gunpoint right on the ground. Whatever it takes to get y'all here. This is fucking ridiculous."

Operator: "Okay, you're saying you have a suspect on the ground at gunpoint, sir?"

Koudelka: "Yes, sure, why not? We'll go with that."

Operator: "This is a recorded line."

Koudelka: "That's fine. I don't care. I've called this in three times and no one's showing up. This is ridiculous. I pay taxes. If I don't have a cop here, I'm just going to fire gunshots into the air to get police here."

That did the trick. The dispatcher upgraded the call to a burglary in progress and sent multiple units to the home, sirens blazing.

Upon arrival, officers were surprised at the calmness with which Koudelka answered the door. It didn't strike them as the manner of someone holding a burglar at gunpoint, and, as Koudelka admitted, it wasn't. There had been a burglary, but it had taken place sometime Friday between 7 a.m. and 11:52 p.m. The thief was long gone.

Officers filled out an incident report for the burglary, then a second one for the exaggerated 911 call. Koudelka wasn't cited, but a recording was placed in the DPD property room in case it's needed for further investigation.

KEEP THE DALLAS OBSERVER FREE... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Eric Nicholson
Contact: Eric Nicholson