Courthouse News has the complaint, in which Everett Clemmer is going after Zhuoye Lighter Manufacturing Co., claiming that a defect in his son William's lighter led to his death last year. From the suit, the key paragraph and cautionary tale:
On or about April 10, 2008, William Clemmer was working at Square One Machine Shop in Stephenville when he attempted to use an "MK" lighter to light a cigarette. Shortly after the cigarette was lit, the "MK" lighter suddenly and expectedly exploded in his pocket. As a result of the lighter failure, Mr. Clemmer's clothing caught fire and burned 55% total body surface area including third degree burns to his groin and upper body, chest, abdomen, back, neck, face, and scalp causing him severe and excrutiating pain and suffering. Mr. Clemmer was promptly care-flighted to Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas where he received constant care for twenty-six days until his death on May 6, 2008.
No doubt, the complaint meant to read that the lighter "unexpectedly exploded in his pocket." But you get the point.
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.