| Crime |

Woman Shot, Man Dead, Kids Safe After Fiery, Multi-County Police Chase Ends In Arlington

The burned out RV, on the right.
The burned out RV, on the right.
Arlington Police Department
Keep Dallas Observer Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Dallas and help keep the future of Dallas Observer free.

Update 12:07 p.m. Thursday — According to reports from WFAA, family members have confirmed that the shooter's name is Tony Kelly Sr.. He reportedly fathered the two children rescued in Arlington with the victim. In texts sent to 911, the woman in the RV told Hunt County authorities that she'd been shot and signed off with "Thank u please kill him bye." According to Hunt County Sheriff Randy Meeks, the woman is out of surgery at Baylor, but has been unable to communicate with police because she has a broken jaw and is on a breathing tube.

At about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, a woman sent a text to 911 in East Texas' Hunt County saying she'd been shot three times by her husband.

About 20 minutes later, a Caddo Mills police officer spotted the recreational vehicle the woman said she was riding in with her husband and two children traveling between 80 and 90 mph, according to Lt. Christopher Cook of the Arlington Police Department. As the police officer watched, the woman either jumped or was pushed from the vehicle. Paramedics took the woman to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, but no further information is available about her condition.

After the woman's escape from the RV, officers from the Caddo Mills Police Department and Hunt County Sheriff's Office started chasing the vehicle. They knew, police say, that the two kids remained in the vehicle. As the RV headed west, crossing county and city lines, as many as nine police agencies joined the chase.

In Rowlett, police laid spike strips in front of the vehicle. The spike strips didn't immediately stop the driver, Cook said, but the RV's tires began to shred. In Dallas County, police began to see sparks coming from the rims of the vehicle as it continued westbound on Interstate 30 to Arlington. In Arlington, the RV ground to a halt near the Cooper Street exit.

As the RV stopped, officers saw heavy smoke and a fire inside the vehicle, Cook said. Shortly after the fire began, the RV's door opened, and the two kids walked out of the burning vehicle's door. They've been taken to Arlington Medical Center and are not hurt.

Once the kids were out of the RV, Cook said, police heard a single gunshot. The fire then consumed the RV. Between the shot and the fire, the driver of the RV died, Cook said. I-30 westbound in Arlington is expected to shut down until 10 a.m., at least, as police officers gather evidence from the scene.

Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Observer community and help support independent local journalism in Dallas.


Join the Observer community and help support independent local journalism in Dallas.