In an attempt to head off concerns from conservatives about the type of judge he might nominate to the Supreme Court, presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump on Wednesday released a list of 11 people he'd consider appointing to replace Justice Antonin Scalia. Eight men and three women are on the list, which includes two judges from Michigan in addition to one each from Iowa, Colorado, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Utah, Alabama and Texas.
Trump's Texas pick is his most interesting. Texas Supreme Court Justice Dan Willett is a highly respected, little "c" conservative judge who's long been touted by the likes of pundits like George Will for a spot on the nation's highest court.
Willett also is an extremely prolific, entertaining tweeter. So much so, in fact, that the Texas House officially named him the state's "tweeter laureate" during the 2015 legislative session. How someone with a large social media presence would appeal to a Twitter warrior like Trump is easy to see, but Willett has often has gently mocked or made light of the front runner in his tweets. Seriously, it's happened a bunch.
1. Here, last summer, is Willett sobbing over who a potential President Trump might nominate to the Supreme Court.
2. Here's Willett poking at Trump's ill-fated air shuttle.
3. And Trump's woebegone real-estate seminars, Trump University.
4. Last August, Willett referenced the ongoing conspiracy theory that Trump might be a liberal plant.
5. In April, he took a shot at Trump's wall plan and compared the Donald to Darth Vader.
6. Willett has blamed Trump for the abysmal 2015 Cowboys season.
7. And mocked Trump's propensity for describing things like political debates as "classy" or "glamorous."
8. He doubted Trump's commitment to pushing evangelical principles — on Easter no less.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
9. Way back in 2013, he alluded to Trump University's being a scam with a Star Trek reference.
10. And mocked Trump's propensity for birtherism.