There are always a few people who like to share -- out loud -- their opinions at live performances, and they're not much different than those overzealous viewers at the movies who feel the need to express every thought that comes to mind. You know, the people who gasp, scream "Wow!" and point out the obvious as it's happening. We've all been guilty of it, or at least I have.
Wednesday night's performance of Cirque du Soleil's Dralion at Dr Pepper Arena attracted quite a few enthusiastic viewers, many of whom were within earshot of us. Surprised and bewildered viewer reactions come with the territory of a show that pops with driving world music, the colorful spectacle of swooshing fabrics, dazzling costumes and death-defying stunts. Add to all that a loose plot about East meeting West, a pixie-ish Little Buddha personifying elements of air, earth, fire and water, and a gaggle of show-saving clowns, and it's surely enough to make one gasp in awe.
Here's a list of some choice phrases we overheard during the Dralion, it's 20-minute intermission, on a beer run and when caught in the stampede moving toward the stadium's parking garages.
- "Um, what language are they speaking?"
- "How cool is this?"
- "That's an incredible stunt!"
- "Did you see that!? He pulled that out of his pants!"
- "Wait, is that part of the plot?"
- "This had to be rehearsed --"
- "You can do it!!"
- "That sounds like Spanish, right?"
- "Woaauuh!!" followed by "Ooohhhh!" [Same lady.]
- "He pulled the thing out of his shoe."
- "Oh my goodness, WOW!"
- "Look at their timing --"
- "Oh NO! Now they're spinning!"
- "They added another prop!"
- "Awesome --"
- "These guys are in really great shape."
- "My favorite's the girl who swings on the hula-hoop!"
- "Look at those masks!"
- "I would fall asleep --"
And our personal favorite: "That reminds me of the guy this morning --"
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!