Dallas Police Headquarters Back Open After Shooting

Featuring boarded-up, bullet-hole riddled windows, Dallas Police' Lamar Street headquarters in the Cedars reopened Monday, after a weekend attack that saw 14 officers engage with James Boulware.

Boulware attacked the building early Saturday morning, spraying it with semi-automatic rifle fire and planting pipe bombs in its parking lot. He was chased out of the parking lot after he rammed a police cruiser with his armored van and fired more rounds at the officers inside. Boulware led police to the parking lot of a Jack in the Box off Interstate 45 in Hutchins. After hours of negotiations, police shot Boulware after they believed the process began to deteriorate. Just before noon Saturday, Dallas cops detonated two pipe bombs in Boulware's van. Boulware was the only person hurt in almost 12 hours of chaos. 

Throughout the day Saturday, details began to emerge, primarily through interviews with Boulware's parents, of his motive. He felt the police he attacked represented a system that took his 11-year-old son away from him and those feelings may have been exacerbated by mental illness.

In the aftermath of the shooting, many, including Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings, have called for increased security for Dallas cops.

"In the coming days and weeks, my City Council colleagues and I will begin discussions about enhanced security measures at police facilities across the city. Our Dallas police officers risk their lives daily to keep us safe. In turn, it is our responsibility as elected officials to make sure we do everything within reason to ensure they return home to their families every day."

The building where the mayor works, Dallas City Hall, got increased security measures last year. All visitors to 1500 Marilla have to go through an airport-like security process.

In the past, Dallas Police Chief David Brown has been resistant to heightened security at police stations because he fears those measures might make the stations less accessible.

“Police stations can be safe havens for victims,” he told The Dallas Morning News in 2013. “I don’t want to barricade our police facilities in the name of security.”

The Dallas Police Association, DPD's largest police union, came out strongly for increased security and cited Boulware's armored van as evidence of the department's ongoing need to have their own armored personnel vehicles. 

"The violent means in which criminals carry out their offenses is becoming more brazen, and police officers often times are facing superior weapons," DPA Vice President Frederick Frazier said. "Having access to armored personnel carriers could be the difference between life and death, not just for our police officers, but also for the innocent families or schoolchildren targeted by violent criminals."

The crime scene outside police headquarters was finally cleared Sunday, and DPD says local authorities and the feds are still analyzing evidence. At this point, DPD says, it appears Boulware was acting alone.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >