Lauren Drewes Daniels
Audio By Carbonatix
Dallas may close streets to create pedestrian zones downtown on select days during the 2026 World Cup this summer.
Council members were briefed on an “Open Streets” plan to create vehicle-free zones in the downtown area at a Transportation Committee meeting earlier this week. Dallas is set to host the International Broadcast Center at the nearby Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center, in addition to a fan festival in Fair Park expected to draw 35,000 visitors daily during the tournament’s 39-day run.
According to a council memo, staff recommends that the city create vehicle-free zones on small sections of Akard and Main Streets for at least one weekend in June and one in July. One option put forward by staff outlines full-day closures in the area every Sunday from June 21 to July 12. A second option would close streets to cars for a single weekend, either from June 21-22, July 4-5 or July 11-12.
The closures, staff said, will allow for events complete with food and beverage vendors. In October, vehicle-free zones were created for Downtown Dallas Inc.’s Trick or Treat on Downtown Streets event. The event drew over 7,000 visitors in roughly three hours, according to the memo.
Committee members largely supported the proposal at the Tuesday meeting
“This is really a great opportunity to bring some activity downtown, and I like the idea of having closed streets for particular events. This is done all over the world. It’s really a significant deal,” said council member Bill Roth, who also proposed that parking be made free in the surrounding area during Open Streets events.
Council members Laura Cadena and Zarin Gracey said the city needed to work with Dallas Area Rapid Transit to ensure residents have transportation options to get downtown during Open Streets events.
Council member Paul Ridley, who represents the downtown area, said the city’s associated costs should be covered by vendor and event fees.
“I really think that’s an imperative to look at ways that we could charge nominal fees, hopefully, that will defray the cost so that we may not make any money, but at least we won’t lose any money on this,” Ridley said
Office of Special Events staff said they were working with Downtown Dallas Inc. to work on a fee structure for vendors at the events. They clarified that organizers typically cover the cost of barricades and other event expenses.
Ridley also said he would like to see Open Streets events take place more regularly, even suggesting the closures should occur one weekend each month.
Council member Cara Mendelsohn said closing streets for the World Cup would not only welcome International visitors, but also help change local perceptions of the area.
“I think there’s just a huge opportunity here to get people out in the streets, have a very significant police presence, not a significant homeless presence, and really change that narrative from what people think downtown is when they haven’t been here to what it actually is,” Mendelsohn said.
As it was a briefing item on the committee agenda, council members did not vote on the proposal to create the pedestrian-free zones. Staff said they would continue working on securing funding and logistics for the plan.