[Over the next few weeks, we'll be presenting our favorite local songs of the year, counting down from No. 25 to No. 1, one track a day. Today we take an in-depth look at song No. 18 on the list -- and, please, feel free to click after the jump to grab the song as a free download. Also after the jump, check out songs No. 50-19 in the Top 50 list that will update as it grows...]
Yes, there's an irony in waiting for the release of an album called When Pigs Fly. But, since March, when we first caught wind of A.Dd+'s new material, waiting is exactly what we've done. Excitedly. Eagerly. Impatiently.
Indeed, it seems unlikely at this point that A.Dd+'s long-awaited debut album, produced by former PPT member and current Cannabinoid Picnictyme, will see the light of day in 2010. But the year's been a big one regardless for the duo of Paris and Flaco, who alongside with Sore Losers and Damaged Good$, have helped established a new realm of Dallas hip-hop -- one that doesn't distinctly play to the dance clubs or to the rock venues, but, rather, to both.
Perhaps that much should be unsurprising, though. Back in March, Paris and Flaco, with an assist from their friend Brown in Sore Losers, released "Likeamug" as a free download, a track that finds the three emcees listing off the things they do best, and the "like a motherfucker" swagger with which they pull those things off.
Yes, it's a boastful track, but one that merits the pride. One could argue that, in many ways, this is the definitive track of the bubbling up movement currently taking place in the Dallas hip-hop scene--it's , catchy, features a beat that's both street grimey and club-ready, and, most of all is collaborative.
This year has found A.Dd+, Sore Losers and Damaged Good$ establishing themselves a beastly three-pronged attack Dallas hip-hop can finally take pride in. Or, as Paris rhymes in this track, "If you ain't riding with us, get your ass on the bus."
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the Observer's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Dallas's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
The Top 50 Local Songs of 2010 (Links to music videos and free song downloads available where applicable; links to streams where neither a download nor video exists.)
50. Dear Human - "Waiting"
49. Nervous Curtains - "All Yesterday's Parties"
48. Spector 45 - "Try Try Try"
47. Smile Smile - "Beg You To Stay"
46. Robert Gomez - "A Natural State"
45. Florene - "Parc Bitch"
44. Mount Righteous - "Eat Your Wife and Kiss The Barbecue"
43. The Strange Boys - "Be Brave"
42. Soft Environmental Collapse - "A Horse & Buggy Complex"
41. Deepspace5 - "Killing With Kindness"
40. Sextape -- "Lubricated Intimacy"
39. Museum Creatures - "Song ABC"
38. Ocelot - "Beating Hears"
37. Sir Silky - "The Squeeze (The Answer)"
36. Bone - "Homegurl"
35. Ishi - "Come Closer"
34. Hoyotoho - "Born Black"
33. Dorrough - "Get Big"
32. Katie Carroll - "Paper Girl"
31. Final Club - "Ruded"
30. Treal Lee & Prince Rick - "Throwed Off (Fuck Errbody)"
29. South San Gabriel - "All Night Long"
28. The Rocket Summer - "Walls"
27. Darktown Strutters - "Lucifer Rising"
26. School of Seven Bells - "Windstorm"
25. Damaged Good$ - "WEHATEDAMAGEDGOOD$TOO"
24. The Burning Hotels - "Austin's Birthday"
23. Doug Burr - "At The Public Dance"
22. The Flowers of God
21. Dondria -- "You're The One"
20. Sundress -- "Locust"
19. Blixaboy -- "Lion Eyes (featuring Emil Rapstine)"
18. A.Dd+ feat. Brown of Sore Losers -- "Likeamug"