[Over the next few weeks, we'll be presenting our favorite local songs of the year, counting down from No. 25 to No. 1, one track a day. Today, we take an in-depth look at song No. 9 on the list -- and, please, feel free to click after the jump to grab a free download of the track. Also after the jump, check out songs No. 50-10 in the Top 50 list that will update as it grows...]
Once upon a time, back in the year 2007, there was a band called Ghosthustler. And, oh, what a band it was. On the strength of just one single, a song called "Parking Lot Nights," the band became immediate blog darlings, despite only releasing a 10-inch vinyl single.
But they did have a music video directed by Pete Ohs, which featured a Nintendo Power Glove punching various hipster types in the face and capitalized on the same nostalgia that the band's '80s-aping electro-dance sounds capitalized upon. And, to a degree that was enough. Because this band was exciting, and, better yet, it was something new to be heard from the North Texas music scene.
Then, in early 2008, the band broke up, and so that chapter in time ended. But this wasn't a completely sad story. Not at all, actually. Because, within a year, frontman Alan Palom, then just 20 years old, would launch into new, even more successful endeavors. First, there was VEGA. And then, before long, came Neon Indian.
But what of his three bandmates? Gray St. Germain Gideon went on to give Bryce Isbell an assist in his FUR project. Shane English became Corporate Park. And there there's Noah Jackson, who, like Palomo before him, also started two projects. One, called LOVELIFE, quickly became a punchline. But the other project, called Kimberly, in which he collaborated with ex-bandmate English? Why, that group's music isn't so bad. Not at all. Actually, it's pretty great.
Resale Concert Tickets
Dallas Symphony Chorus: Lawrence Loh - Christmas Pops
Sunday, Dec. 15, 2019 / 2:30pm @ Meyerson Symphony Center 2301 Flora St. Ste. 100 Dallas TX 752012301 Flora St. Ste. 100, Dallas TX 75201View more dates and times at this location >
Still, "Sociopath," one of just two songs the twosome has ever posted to their MySpace page, resonates nonetheless. Like Ghosthustler's catalog before it, the song similarly mines an '80s aesthetic, albeit one of a less dance-heavy and more John Hughes-indebted vibe. Shoegazey and atmospheric, and not unlike the works of M83, which proudly wears its own John Hughes influence on its sleeve, Kimberly may not be as well known -- not even close, actually -- as the works of its members former collaborators in Ghosthustler.
But, if nothing else, "Sociopath" serves as a reminder that Alan Palomo wasn't the sole person behind the once incredibly promising Ghosthustler outfit. And that, as we move forward, it'd be in all of our best interests to remember the efforts of the other members.
Because, like Palomo, they too might not yet have shown us their best work.
The Top 50 Local Songs of 2010 (Links to music videos and free song downloads available where applicable; links to streams where neither a download nor video exists.)
50. Dear Human - "Waiting"
49. Nervous Curtains - "All Yesterday's Parties"
48. Spector 45 - "Try Try Try"
47. Smile Smile - "Beg You To Stay"
46. Robert Gomez - "A Natural State"
45. Florene - "Parc Bitch"
44. Mount Righteous - "Eat Your Wife and Kiss The Barbecue"
43. The Strange Boys - "Be Brave"
42. Soft Environmental Collapse - "A Horse & Buggy Complex"
41. Deepspace5 - "Killing With Kindness"
40. Sextape -- "Lubricated Intimacy"
39. Museum Creatures - "Song ABC"
38. Ocelot - "Beating Hears"
37. Sir Silky - "The Squeeze (The Answer)"
36. Bone - "Homegurl"
35. Ishi - "Come Closer"
34. Hoyotoho - "Born Black"
33. Dorrough - "Get Big"
32. Katie Carroll - "Paper Girl"
31. Final Club - "Ruded"
30. Treal Lee & Prince Rick - "Throwed Off (Fuck Errbody)"
29. South San Gabriel - "All Night Long"
28. The Rocket Summer - "Walls"
27. Darktown Strutters - "Lucifer Rising"
26. School of Seven Bells - "Windstorm"
25. Damaged Good$ - "WEHATEDAMAGEDGOOD$TOO"
24. The Burning Hotels - "Austin's Birthday"
23. Doug Burr - "At The Public Dance"
22. The Flowers of God
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
21. Dondria -- "You're The One"
20. Sundress - "Locust"
19. Blixaboy - "Lion Eyes (featuring Emil Rapstine)"
18. A.Dd+ feat. Brown of Sore Losers - "Likeamug"
17. The Secret Handshake - "Every Single Time"
16. Lalagray - "The Hard Part"
15. Sore Losers - "Free Loaders"
14. Leg Sweeper - "Sexy Weekend"
13. Midlake - "Rulers, Ruling All Things"
12. Ryan Thomas Becker - "So Speak"
11. Analog Rebellion - "You've Been Had (Machine)"
10. Mind Spiders -- "Worlds Destroyed"