| Crime |

An Oak Cliff Man Greeted the Dallas Police with an 18-Inch Jagged Knife Last Night

Keep Dallas Observer Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Dallas and help keep the future of Dallas Observer free.

Around midnight today, Dallas police received a call about a man walking around West 10th Street in Oak Cliff, "wielding a large knife," as the police report puts it. The caller said the man with the knife had, furthermore, phoned him up not long ago and said, "I'm going to kill your dogs."

According to the report, the caller directed officers Mark Merenda and Terrance Hopkins to the apartment of the man in question, Kenneth Gonzaba, 46. They knocked.

"Who is it?" Gonzaba inquired.

"It's the Dallas Police," one of the officers responded.

"Fuck the police," Gonzaba replied through the door.

The officers suggested that Gonzaba step outside.

"I'll come outside," he replied, "But you ain't ready for what I got for you."

What he had for them was a rather large knife, about 18 inches in length, "with a wood handle and a jagged blade." It was "raised over his head, in his right hand, in a menacing manner."

The officers "believed the arrestee intended to cause them bodily harm," the report continues. Both drew their guns and gave Gonzaba "loud commands to drop the knife and lay on the ground."

Gonzaba dropped the knife but did not lay on the ground. So one of the officers "used a front kick to the thigh area" to get him there. Gonzaba was arrested and taken to Lew Sterrett, where he is charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant. His bail has been set at $50,000.

Gonzaba is the manager at Lockhart Smokehouse, and has no prior criminal record in Dallas County. Asked for comment on Twitter by a reporter from the Dallas Morning News, whoever mans their account replied, "Oh no. Kenny is a valuable employee. We will keep an eye on the situation as it develops."

This appears to have been a night for bizarre and violent police incidents. Around the same time, a 30-year-old man being interviewed by police about a "disturbance" at a convenience store near Uptown turned around and fled from them "for unknown reasons," a police report says. The man jumped over a concrete barrier and plummeted onto North Central Expressway, where he died at the scene.

Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Observer community and help support independent local journalism in Dallas.


Join the Observer community and help support independent local journalism in Dallas.