Like the BCS, style points count. So do geeky, black-and-white stats such as touchdowns and quarterback rating. Wins and losses? Definitely. Leadership? Uh-huh.
When it comes to my weekly NFL Quarterback Rankings - if I had one of those little encircled R's to signify a trademarked idea, it'd go here - the criteria is everything, nothing and all that's in between.
Past performance and future potential is considered, but mostly - like college football's weekly Top 25 - it's an attempt to identify the quarterbacks you'd most like to have starting for your team in this game, this week, right now. Injuries, obviously, significantly plummet value. A clever new TV ad might bump a player a notch.
Todd Collins Jason Campbell, Redskins (-7).
31. Marc Bulger, Rams (-).
30. Josh Johnson, Buccaneers (-1).
29. Derek Anderson, Browns (-1).
Kerry Collins Vince Young, Titans (-5).
Matthew Stafford Daunte Culpepper, Lions (-1).
26. JaMarcus Russell, Raiders (+6).
25. Mark Sanchez, Jets (-6).
24. Jake Delhomme, Panthers (-).
23. Trent Edwards, Bills (+7).
22. Chad Henne, Dolphins (-).
21. Matt Cassel, Chiefs (+6).
20. Shaun Hill, 49ers (-).
19. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks (-1).
18. David Garrard, Jaguars (+3).
17. Matt Schaub, Texans (-).
16. Donovan McNabb, Eagles (-6).
15. Jay Cutler, Bears (-).
14. Joe Flacco, Ravens (+2).
13. Carson Palmer, Bengals (-1).
12. Tony Romo, Cowboys (+2).
11. Matt Ryan, Falcons (-2).
10. Kurt Warner, Cardinals (+1).
9. Kyle Orton, Broncos (+4).
8. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (-).
7. Aaron Rodgers, Packers (-).
6. Eli Manning, Giants (-3).
5. Brett Favre, Vikings (+1).
4. Phillip Rivers, Chargers (-).
3. Tom Brady, Patriots (+2).
2. Drew Brees, Saints (-).
1. Peyton Manning, Colts (-).
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.