Like the BCS, style points count. So do geeky, black-and-white stats such as touchdowns and quarterback rating. Wins and losses? Definitely. Leadership? Uh-huh.
When it comes to my weekly NFL Quarterback Rankings - if I had one of those little encircled R's to signify a trademarked idea, it'd go here - the criteria is everything, nothing and all that's in between.
Past performance and future potential is considered, but mostly - like college football's weekly Top 25 - it's an attempt to identify the quarterbacks you'd most like to have starting for your team in this game, this week, right now. Injuries, obviously, significantly plummet value. A clever new TV ad might bump a player a notch.
32. Derek Anderson, Browns (-).
31. JaMarcus Russell, Raiders (-1).
30. Matthew Stafford , Lions (+1).
29. Mark Sanchez, Jets (-).
28. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills (-3).
27. Marc Bulger, Rams (-).
26. Jason Campbell, Redskins (-).
25. Josh Freeman, Buccaneers (+3).
24. Jake Delhomme, Panthers (-).
23. Matt Cassel, Chiefs (-3).
22. Alex Smith, 49ers (-1).
21. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks (+2).
20. Kyle Orton, Broncos (+1).
19. Chad Henne, Dolphins (-).
18. Jay Cutler, Bears (-2).
17. David Garrard, Jaguars (+3).
16. Eli Manning, Giants (-1).
15. Matt Ryan, Falcons (-4).
14. Donovan McNabb, Eagles (-2).
13. Joe Flacco, Ravens (-).
12. Vince Young, Titans (+3).
11. Aaron Rodgers, Packers (+2).
10. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (-4).
9. Tony Romo, Cowboys (-2).
8. Kurt Warner, Cardinals (+2).
7. Matt Schaub, Texans (+3).
6. Carson Palmer, Bengals (+2).
5. Tom Brady, Patriots (-2).
4. Brett Favre, Vikings (-1).
3. Phillip Rivers, Chargers (+1).
2. Peyton Manning, Colts (-).
1. Drew Brees, Saints (-).
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.