Their manager was in the clubhouse, ejected. Their pitcher was in the hospital, knocked woozy. Their future was in the courtroom, bankrupt.
And, worst of all, their 5-hour, 14-inning game was in Detroit, at the House of Horrors known as Comerica Park.
But in a season that feels more special by the day - home sweep at the hands of the lowly Orioles notwithstanding - the Texas Rangers again found a way to win.
With Dustin Nippert resting comfortably after taking a gruesome line drive to his head and Jackie Moore managing in place of Ron Washington, the Rangers won 8-6 when Nelson Cruz sliced a 2-run homer to right field in the 14th.
It was the longest game of the season. And, to this point, also the most important.
Kudos to Matt Harrison for four innings of scoreless relief, including inducing an inning-ending, ground-ball double play with the bases load in the 12th. That escape, capped later by Cruz' homer, literally had players like Elvis Andrus and Vladimir Guerrero hopping happy in Texas' dugout.
The Rangers' lead in the AL West is 5 games instead of 4. I'm calling it one of the top five wins of the season:
5. April 5: Rangers 5, Blue Jays 4 - Jarrod Saltalamacchia's single caps a two-run rally in the bottom of the 9th as Texas overcomes a 3-0 deficit to win its season opener.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. June 24: Rangers 6, Pirates 5 - Vladimir Guerrero's walk-off single caps a rally from down 4-0 and crests Texas' winning streak at 11.
3. May 18: Rangers 8, Angels 7 - Texas swats three homers to sweep a series from Anaheim in Arlington.
2. June 15: Rangers 3, Marlins 2 - Catcher Matt Treanor is the unlikely hero when his 9th-inning triple scores two runs and allows Texas to beat Marlins' All-Star ace Josh Johnson.
1. July 19: Rangers 8, Tigers 6 - After losing a pitcher to injury and a manager to ejection, the 14-inning win breaks 11-game losing streak in Detroit and pushes AL West lead to 5 games.