Nashville's The Features may have a couple of marks against them in the eyes of elitist hipsters who don't like to let actual facts get in the way of a too-cool-for-school argument. It's true, the no longer en vogue Kings of Leon, themselves fellow Tennesseans, have lent a helping hand to the quartet that began in Sparta,Tennessee, back in 1994. Their last couple of records, including 2011's urgent, catchy Wilderness, were released on Kings of Leon's own imprint, Serpents and Snakes. Also, the band is featured on the Twilight: Breaking Dawn soundtrack.
Both of those things are pretty cool, regardless of the skinny-jeaned naysayers. An arena-sized band footing the bill to record and distribute your album while landing a spot on what has actually been an impressive collection of soundtracks are both high points for a band that has fought for attention beyond their Southern home.
The Features will be swinging through town Friday and we figured since they've enjoyed being a part of the whole Twilight machine, we'd see what drummer Rollum Haas' all-time top five future Features band/movie tie-ins are.
5. We get hired to do the entire soundtrack for the (supposedly/hopefully) upcoming Arrested Development movie.
4. The Graduate's theatrical re-release soundtrack is updated with one of our songs replacing "Sound of Silence." We get paid one billion dollars every time said song is played.
3. Midnight Cowboy's theatrical re-release soundtrack is updated with one of our songs replacing "Everybody's Talking." We get paid one billion dollars every time said song is played.
2. Made-for-TV Features musical involving us saving the world from an army of cybernetic Charles Bronson clones. Robin Williams plays Matt [Pelham], Geddy Lee plays Roger [Dabbs], Emilio Estevez plays Mark [Bond], and Clint Eastwood plays me.
1. George Lucas remakes Star Wars with The Features cast as the Cantina Band.
The Features perform Friday, January 27, at The Prophet Bar.