Dallas Cowboys

Former Dallas Cowboys Fullback Robert Newhouse Out of Hosptial After Stroke

Question: Who was the first running back to throw a touchdown pass in Super Bowl history?

Answer: The former Dallas Cowboy who on Wednesday afternoon was released from Baylor Medical Center after recovering from a stroke.

Robert Newhouse, the "human bowling ball" of a fullback who for 11 seasons opened holes for the likes of Calvin Hill and Tony Dorsett, is walking, talking and seemingly on his way to a successful recovery from a scare that landed him in the hospital for most of the last two months.

"The prognosis?" Newhouse's son, Rodd, said last night. "It's in God's hands. At this point he's getting progressively better."

Newhouse, 60, suffered the stroke while driving in a car with his mother in early July. He was able to navigate safely to his Dallas home and later check himself into Baylor, where doctors diagnosed his episode as a stroke. He spent three weeks in the hospital and was released yesterday after completing rehab.

"He had some temporarily paralysis, but he's getting feeling back in his left side," Rodd said of his dad, who walks with the use of a walker. "He's walking better and better, and talking. If you didn't know any better, you wouldn't know anything."

At 5-foot-10, 210 pounds and with enormous 44-inch thighs, tackling Newhouse was like wrestling a fire hydrant. From 1972-83 he rushed for 4,784 yards and 31 touchdowns, but mostly served as a dominating lead blocker years before Cowboys' fans knew the name Daryl Johnston. His most notable play came in Super Bowl XII when he took a pitch from Roger Staubach, ran left and then pulled up to throw a perfect scoring pass to receiver Golden Richards.

The 29-yard touchdown sealed Dallas' 27-10 victory over the Denver Broncos.

"As a teen my full name was 'Rodd Newhouse, son of Dallas Cowboys running back Robert Newhouse'," said Rodd, who has worked as a personnel evaluator for the Arizona Cardinals and as an online football scouting analyst. "At the time it bothered me. But over the course of my life - especially today - I've come to respect it as a huge compliment. My dad is a hero and a tough guy. This has been scary, but he's not ready to check out yet."

Hang in there No. 44.

KEEP THE DALLAS OBSERVER FREE... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Richie Whitt
Contact: Richie Whitt