The boyfriend recently was moved to a different position at work, one with a shorter lunch break. So we decided to check out some of the quicker and better Asian-restaurant lunch deals around the Dallas area. Along with our own personal lunch spots, I asked some friends to contribute their favorites to the list. If I'm missing any of your neighborhoods, feel free to share in the comments.
1. Vietnam Restaurant, 4302 Bryan St. This East Dallas favorite offers a popular Vietnamese buffet for only $6.99 per person. The buffet offers a variety of familiar Asian staples (think eggrolls) and less familiar fare, like Vietnamese shrimp goi or salad. The best part of the buffet is its daily revolving menu of Vietnamese home-style cooking offerings. Even if buffets aren't your thing, and if you're not in a time crunch, there is a regular menu provided with everything from rice plates to pho. Lunch is offered from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
2. Chosun Korean BBQ, 2560 Royal Lane # 105 If you work anywhere near Korea town, chances are you've already tried Chosun's wonderful yet reasonably priced lunch menu. Even if you don't work nearby, it's worth a drive. There are Korean standards for under $10 (bulgogi and bibimbap), and even the dishes that are a little bit more than $10 are a bargain. For $10.95, you can grab a bento-style box of kalbi beef shortribs, glass noodles, rice, dumplings and an orange to fight off the scurvy. The kalbi takes a bit longer to prepare, but we were in and out within an hour. (Not to mention it's much faster than if you were to visit the actual In-N-Out.) After the complimentary salad bar, soup station and banchan, however, you might be full before you ever even get to the main course.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the Observer's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Dallas's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
3. Lumi Empanada and Dumpling Kitchen, 3407 McKinney Ave. Lumi has one of the best banh mi thit nuongs inside of Dallas, and you can get one plus a generous heaping of wonton soup for $10 during lunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. The $9 lunch specials include soups and empanadas, and sandwiches and salads. There's also pho, beef and chicken, available during lunch. Bring a friend so you can try a little bit of everything. Lumi also has its own parking lot now, making it a much more convenient visit during lunch hours.
4. Roti Grill, 6509 West Park Blvd., Plano, #420 My Indian friend Sunil likes to remind me occasionally: He's Asian, too, dammit. So Roti Grill is on this list. The Plano location offers a buffet lunch of Northern Indian style fare all week long, including the weekends. There's a daily changing menu of lentil soup, aloo gobi, Masala curry and more. The buffet runs from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on weekdays and from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
5. Mua Sushi and Grill, 761 S MacArthur Blvd., Suite 121 Mua has an array of bento box options -- from chicken teriyaki to grilled flounder -- all which come with Japanese samplers, rice, fried dumplings, miso soup, salad and a California roll. There are also impressive deals on sushi rolls like 2 rolls for $7 or 3 rolls for $10.