News

Photos: Dallas Firefighters Work to Contain Blaze at Design District Upholstery Warehouse

Photographer Kurtz Frausun caught images of the firefighters at work.
Photographer Kurtz Frausun caught images of the firefighters at work. Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge Dallas firefighters battle a three-alarm blaze in the Design District. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
Dallas firefighters battle a three-alarm blaze in the Design District.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
Just after 1 p.m. Thursday, Dallas Fire-Rescue received a call about a burning upholstery warehouse in the 2400 block of Irving Boulevard in the Design District. Lots of smoke was coming from the building, but no one was inside when firefighters showed up.

After a roof collapsed, the fire department worked to suppress the fire, leading to a second and third alarm. According to the department, the fire started because of an electrical short in a paint booth near the front of the building.

While the business suffered extensive damage, no workers or firefighters appear to have been injured in the fire, according to the department. After containing the fire, firefighters began sifting through debris to make sure no hot spots were left behind.

A nearby business owner provided the Observer with photos:
click to enlarge Photographer Kurtz Frausun caught images of the firefighters at work. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
Photographer Kurtz Frausun caught images of the firefighters at work.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge No one was reported injured in the warehouse fire in the Design District. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
No one was reported injured in the warehouse fire in the Design District.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge Additional firefighters were called out when the building's roof collapsed. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
Additional firefighters were called out when the building's roof collapsed.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge An electrical short circuit appears to have caused the fire. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
An electrical short circuit appears to have caused the fire.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge Firefighters aim a jet of water at the building's roof, which collapsed during the blaze. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
Firefighters aim a jet of water at the building's roof, which collapsed during the blaze.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge Dallas firefighters wade through water and foam flowing from their efforts to quench a warehouse fire in the Design District. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
Dallas firefighters wade through water and foam flowing from their efforts to quench a warehouse fire in the Design District.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
click to enlarge The fire started early Thursday afternoon. - KURTZ FRAUSUN, OWNER OF  STUDIO | FRAUSUN: WWW.KURTZFRAUSUN.COM
The fire started early Thursday afternoon.
Kurtz Frausun, owner of Studio | Frausun: www.kurtzfrausun.com
KEEP THE DALLAS OBSERVER FREE... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Stephen Young has written about Dallas news for the Observer since 2014. He's a Dallas native and a graduate of the University of North Texas.
Contact: Stephen Young