Just after 1 p.m. Thursday, Dallas Fire-Rescue received a call about a burning upholstery warehouse in the 2400 block of Irving Boulevard in the Design District. Lots of smoke was coming from the building, but no one was inside when firefighters showed up.
After a roof collapsed, the fire department worked to suppress the fire, leading to a second and third alarm. According to the department, the fire started because of an electrical short in a paint booth near the front of the building.
While the business suffered extensive damage, no workers or firefighters appear to have been injured in the fire, according to the department. After containing the fire, firefighters began sifting through debris to make sure no hot spots were left behind.
A nearby business owner provided the Observer with photos:
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.